Future Priests of the Third Millennium

A little insight into the life of seminarians from various dioceses preparing for ministry as Roman Catholic priests, including daily activities, personal interests, special events, the spiritual life, news from the seminary, and almost whatever comes to our minds!



Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pope Saint Clement Adoring the Trinity Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, 1737-38

by James Lannan, Theology III
Saint Paul Seminary


-------------------------

This is Part 3 of a Summer 2009 multi-part series on religious art that I enjoy. I made a personal pilgrimage to the Rome in August 2007. My journey to Saint Peter's Basilica and all of the amazing Churches can be summed up in one sentence I continually repeated: "I had no idea...so much beauty and grandeur for the praise and glory of God."

I do not claim to be an authority on art. I like to say that I know what I like, and what I do not like. My hope is that all who read our blog enjoy my choices and learn something new.

note: not all of my choices to blog on will be from Rome. Many will come from all over the world.


Part 4 will post soon.

-------------------------






Pope Saint Clement Adoring the Trinity Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, 1737-38, Oil on canvas, located in Alte Pinakothek, Munich.

What I like about this painting most is what I will just call "attention to liturgical detail." Saint Clement was Pope in the first century. This painting was painted in the first half of the 18th century. Notice the thurible, the metropolitan cross, the Basilica style dome, the red cloth, and the altar Clement is kneeling before.

The centrality and importance of worshiping God with reverence and adoration in the Catholic Tradition stretches from the 1st century to the 18th century, and forever.

Another thing I find interesting is how Christ is depicted. He is resurrected with his Cross at his side, draped in white. What is interesting about it is how he is "not" depicted in the Trinity; not as the High Priest in chasuble, not as King with a crown and scepter. I wonder why the artist chose to paint Christ this way? Perhaps it is a style indicative to the artists background or the period he comes from in painting.

Thanks for listening...