Future Priests of the Third Millennium

A little insight into the life of seminarians from various dioceses preparing for ministry as Roman Catholic priests, including daily activities, personal interests, special events, the spiritual life, news from the seminary, and almost whatever comes to our minds!



Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Catena Aurea

The literal translation of the words "Catena Aurea" is the golden chain. This golden chain is not for a liturgical vestment rather it is the title of a book produced by St. Thomas Aquinas. It is a compilation of several Scripture commentaries from the Church Fathers. I had used it as a source for term paper for my class on the synoptic gospels. It proved to be very helpful for writing a paper about the Lord's Prayer and this past fall I was able to use it for a homily here or there. Unfortunately it is out of print, however the Baronius Press publishing company in the United Kingdom will begin publishing it soon. As I continue through my studies I continually find new resources for papers and homilies, I am thankful for the work of those who have gone before us.