Future Priests of the Third Millennium

A little insight into the life of seminarians from various dioceses preparing for ministry as Roman Catholic priests, including daily activities, personal interests, special events, the spiritual life, news from the seminary, and almost whatever comes to our minds!



Saturday, June 13, 2009

"The Pentecost" by Jean Restout II



Periodically I like to blog on works of religious art, statues, and Church architecture.

More posts to come...


by James Lannan, Theology III - Saint Paul Seminary


-------------------------



I recently saw a print of this painting. I absolutely love it. Each time I look at it I find something new that I like. Notice the reaction each apostle has as he receives the Holy Spirit. Then see how Mary is reacting, centered in glory.

This dramatic representation of the events on Pentecost is a copy of the original artwork "Pentecost" which is currently on display in the Louvre in Paris.

The original painting is 183" X 306 1/4" and is an oil on canvas. The artist, Jean Restout II, painted it in 1732.

I do not claim to be an authority on art at all. Yet, I know what I like and what I do not like. This painting is amazing!

James Lannan