Future Priests of the Third Millennium

A little insight into the life of seminarians from various dioceses preparing for ministry as Roman Catholic priests, including daily activities, personal interests, special events, the spiritual life, news from the seminary, and almost whatever comes to our minds!



Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Been there, Done that

The seminary can become a distinctly unpleasant place this time of year. People are under a tremendous amount of stress to complete projects, write papers, prepare for exams, and submit paperwork at the eleventh hour. As a result, we become just a bit high strung, and by extension, quick to snap. We end up remarking about some small annoying behavior that two weeks ago we would have ignored. Community life becomes unattractive; we prefer to disappear to our rooms and make public appearances only when necessary.

I don't suppose that this is unusual in any way. I suspect it happens in homes and offices during stressful times, and I know that the same phenomenon can take place in the parish during the most tense days of the year. Why, then, am I almost relishing these days, this year?

While I am also under the gun, quickly vexed, and equally unenthused about community life, I have eight years worth of seminary experience now, and with age comes wisdom, or at least that is what I am told. Thus, even though I am going through the same old experiences, fighting the same old desires to scream, and biting my toungue just a moment too late, I also acknowledge a certain freedom in realizing that this too shall pass. Somehow it always does. The papers get written, the projects completed, and everything seems to work out. As steady as a clock, these things mark the passing of the days. One need just have a little patience. It seems very appropriate that these days fall during the season of Advent.