Future Priests of the Third Millennium

A little insight into the life of seminarians from various dioceses preparing for ministry as Roman Catholic priests, including daily activities, personal interests, special events, the spiritual life, news from the seminary, and almost whatever comes to our minds!



Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Saint Francis Xavier

Today is a very special day for me and for many people with whom I work. Today the Church celebrates the Memorial of Saint Francis Xavier. My teaching parish is named after him - thus the folks there celebrate today the patron of their parish.


Saint Xavier is a remarkable character in that his faith and love for Christ so moved him that he devoted his life to converting many who had never heard of Christ.


Even more so, he encountered many who had previously been converted to Christianity but had no one to say Mass for them nor had they anyone to instruct them on how to live as Christians.


In a letter he wrote to Saint Ignatius, Saint Xavier explained, "The native Christians have no priests. They know only that they are Christians. There is nobody to say Mass for them; nobody to teach them the Creed, the Our Father, the Hail Mary, and the Commandments of God's law."


He also teaches us, as seminarians learning how to be good priests, that we must give to the people and not count the cost. "I have not stopped since the day I arrived . . . The older children would not let me say my Office or eat or sleep until I taught them one prayer or another . . . I could not refuse so devout a request without failing in devotion myself."


I hope that all of us can unite with the people of the parish of Saint Francis Xavier in Sartell in our prayer of thanksgiving for the work, life, and example of this novel missionary and saint.


Saint Francis Xavier, pray for us.


Take care, -Jeremy