Future Priests of the Third Millennium

A little insight into the life of seminarians from various dioceses preparing for ministry as Roman Catholic priests, including daily activities, personal interests, special events, the spiritual life, news from the seminary, and almost whatever comes to our minds!



Wednesday, March 11, 2009

St. Joseph Novena

March 19th is the day which Holy Mother Church has dedicated to the Solemnity of St. Joseph, husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Carmelite monastery in my diocese sends a Novena prayer to many people before major Carmelite feasts and since their patron is St. Joseph, they sent one to me a few weeks ago. The prayer is as follows.

With childlike confidence I present myself before you, O holy Joseph, faithful foster-father of Jesus! I beg your compassionate intercession and support in this, my present necessity. I firmly believe that you are most powerful near the throne of God, who chose you for the reputed father of His well-beloved Son, Christ Jesus. O blessed Saint, you who saved that Treasure of Heaven, along with his virginal Mother, from the rage of his enemies, did with untiring industry supply His earthly wants and with paternal care accompany and protect Him all the journeys of His Childhood, take me, also for the love of Jesus, as your child. Assist me in my present difficulty with your prayers before God. The infinite goodness of our Savior who honored and loved you as His father upon earth, cannot refuse you any request now in heaven.

Ah, how many pious souls have sought help from you in their needs, and have experienced to the their joy, how good, how mild, how ready to assist you are! How quickly you turn to those who call upon you with confidence! How powerful you are in bringing help and restoring joy to anxious and dejected hearts! There do I fly to you, o most chaste spouse of Mary! Good St. Joseph, I pray you by the burning love you had for Jesus and Mary upon earth, console me in my distress, and present my petition, through Jesus and Mary, before the throne of God! One word from you will move my good Savior to bless me and to console my afflicted soul. Then, most joyfully shall I praise Him and you, most earnest will be my thanksgivings! Amen.